Protect Your Pets From Fleas and Ticks
Secure Your Pets From Fleas and Ticks
Ask animal owners exactly what they think about to be the most aggravating part of having a canine or cat, and fleas and ticks will likely be high on the list.
From powders and sprays to dips and pills, the range of items readily available to fight these bothersome bugs can be a challenging roadway to browse for even the most devoted animal owner. However picking the wrong product or applying it improperly can be unsafe.
“Pets and felines have different requirements, specifically when it pertains to flea and tick control, and applying the incorrect product can be damaging to a pet,” stated Dr. Jordan Siegel, technical services vet for Wellmark International. “Some people are too hectic to check out the labels or they simply get products confused, particularly if they have more than one dog or feline.”
Wellmark International, located in Schaumburg, Ill., has developed topical applicators created to get rid of that confusion and make using flea and tick treatment easier.
Zodiac Spot On is the business’s easy-to-apply month-to-month treatment that manages flea and tick infestations. Its Family pet Specifix applicators include cat-head shapes for felines and dog-bone shapes for canines to help animal owners monitor the treatment they require for each animal. In addition, the applicators are color-coded to match pet weight varies to assist prevent unintentional misapplication.
Since just one adult flea on an animal can lay up to 50 eggs a day, which can wind up in a home’s carpet and furniture, it’s important to break the flea life process. Ticks can be more harmful than fleas because of their ability to spread out Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain found fever and other infections to human beings.
Here are some suggestions on using flea and tick treatment:
* Do not utilize a product on a types other than the one for which it is signed up.
* Select products which contain both an adulticide and an insect growth regulator. This one-two punch will eliminate adult fleas and ticks while avoiding flea eggs from growing into breeding, biting grownups.
* Read and follow all product label guidelines.
* Deal with all pets in the household, not simply those with the flea problem.
* Institute a continuous treatment and prevention program to avoid reinfestations.